Cinemapolis is a non-Profit theater that plays first-run films, specializing in locally-produced, independent, and foreign films. Their goal is to be a place where movie-goers will be enriched through their movie-going experience. The theater hopes to not only entertain, but to make guests aware of contemporary issues as well; all in the name of celebrating life and all it entails.
Operated by Seventh Art, an organization dedicated to using film to educate, entertain, and promote social awareness. Besides their featured films at Cinemapolis, Seventh Art also offers educational programs through film for audiences of all ages, sponsors public film forums, and film-related classes and discussions. Seventh Art also offers both the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Festival each fall, showing some of the best Sci-Fi selections each year; and is also home to the film portion of the multi-arts Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival each spring which concentrates sustainability issues.
More than 150 films are shown each year on five screens with spacious stadium seating, not including those films featured at the special events.
The theater's downtown Ithaca location at 120 East Green Street not only provides easy access for visitors from surrounding communities, but it also supports local businesses including restaurants and stores which may be stops before or after the films. All in all, Cinemapolis is an integral part of local community and economy.
Current features through November 21, 2013 include:
- Diana - Concentrating on events from the last two years of her life
- 12 Years A Slave - The story of a free man who becomes a slave in early American times
- All Is Lost - A sailors quest to save himself after an accident at sea
- Lee Daniels' The Butler - The story of the man behind eight American presidents during controversial times
- Wadjda - One young girl uses her own resources to reach her goal
- Enough Said - A woman's quest for happiness while navigating life's complications
- Blue is the Warmest Color - A young girl finds herself after meeting a young woman with blue hair - starts on November 22, 2013.
- Dallas Buyers Club - An HIV-Positive man seeks alternative treatment after doctors and pharmacists complicate his attempt at healing - starts on November 22, 2013.
- Kill Your Darlings - Alan Ginsberg comes of age in this dramatic film - starts on November 27, 2013.
- Philomena - A journalist follows the story of a woman trying to locate her son whom she was forced to give up for adoption - starts on November 27, 2013.
- Let the Fire Burn - A graphic story of prejudice and intolerance in mid-1980 Philadelphia - starts on December 6, 2013.
- The Armstrong Lie - The rise and fall of Lance Armstrong - starts on December 6, 2013.
- Nebraska - an alcoholic father and reluctant son take a road-trip for money - starts on December 20, 2013.
- The Invisible Woman - The story of Charles Dickens' secret lover - starts on January 24, 2014.
- Le Passe (The Past) - Complications arise after a man leaves his family to return to his homeland - starts on February 28, 2014.
Cinemapolis provides a unique theater-going experience during a Finger Lakes getaway to the Inn at Gothic Eves. Just a 20-minute drive from our bed and breakfast, Cinemapolis is a great destination for and afternoon or evening of enjoyment.