A cooperative effort between local farmers, area winemakers/brewers, and talented chefs, Harvest Dinners are both a treat for the taste buds and a benefit to the community. Each year, the group sponsors at least one fundraising event to benefit our Trumansburg brethren who may be in need of fresh food for their families. How? For each four tickets sold, one family in need is granted a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Share at a nearby farm for the season.
For those of you unfamiliar with the CSA Share practice, a large number of farms here in Upstate New York actually sell "shares" of their crops to members, guaranteeing each a share of seasonal harvest to each member. This way, families/establishments can receive fresh, local produce for their tables. The Inn at Gothic Eves also participates with a CSA, Sweet Land Farm, for our local produce which you'll find on the breakfast table each and every morning! As an aside, Sweet Land Farm also hosts Harvest Dinner Events to help out the community.
So why hold these Harvest Events? Trumansburg and the Finger Lakes Region is passionate about their communities as a whole, and believe in local, healthy food using organic practices. Not only do we know where our produce comes from (and often the people who grow it), but we are also able to help maintain farmland, and provide a means for residents to have fresh, healthy food. However, there are those who can not afford this bounty, so Harvest Events allow the entire community to take care of our residents and our neighbors. Healthy families = healthy communities, and we're all about making this happen!
But back to the Remeberance Farm dinner! After the wine and hors d'oeuvres hour from 5-6 p.m., the four-course dinner will feature offerings from the Carriage House Cafe and Damiani Wine Cellars. The Carriage House uses produce from both Autumn's Harvest Farm and Daring Drake Farm, and baked goods from Wide Awake Bakery (who, in turn, also use local ingredients).
And what a menu it will be!
Appetizers will include:
- Bacon-Wrapped Rabbit Saddle "Scallops" (with Pinot Grigio),
- Garlic and White Beans on Toasted Rosemary Foccacia (with Sauvignon Blanc),
- Cucumber Cups (with Semi-Dry Riesling), and
- Carriage House Signature Rabbit Pate (with Semi-Dry Riesling).
Dinner will feature:
- First Course: a cold soup of red beet and chive with yellow beet sorbet (with Pinot Noir).
- Second Course: salad of field greens, heirloom grape tomatoes, cucumber, yellow beet, and herbs and black currants with a herb cider vinaigrette (with a Cabernet Blend)
- Entree: tomato and peach braised rabbit on a seared polenta cake, sauteed vegetables (patty pan squash, dinosaur kale, and heirloom eggplant tossed with fresh chive, dill, and fennel, paired with Dry Riesling)
- Dessert: warm seasonal fruit nested in a puff pastry ("Vol Au Vent") with zabaione fresh currants and goose berries (with sparkling wine and Gimme! Coffee)